Saturday, June 30, 2007

Saturday

It's 45.3 degrees and sunny!
  • Saturday: Partly sunny with scattered showers, best chance north of Thruway. High 74
  • Saturday Night: Partly to mostly cloudy. Low 46
  • Sunday: Partly sunny & cool. High 68 Low 47
It's going to be a great day for Graduation Parties, Golfing, Paddling - whatever suits your fancy. An article in the morning's Observer-Dispatch in which Dr. David Petrie is quoted - gives some good hints for Staying Safe in the Sun and Heat.

After two very humid days, yesterday - 'tho sunny and hot - was a good day for being outside.

Residents of the Schoolhouse Aparments gathered to chat, and some cows on Sally Road -


where someone has mounted a thermometer on a tree! - appeared to be lying down on the job!










**************


West Bacon Street was busy!


There were half-a-dozen or more Garage Sales!


Paving continued on Buell Avenue and Route 315, with single-lane travel as far as the Sewage Treatment Plant causing traffic to back up even onto Main Street. My last trip uptown was around 3:30, and that was such a nuisance that I decided not to do a final sweep and, therefore, I have no idea whether or not the roadwork has been completed. The "lips" on my driveway and front sidewalk have been done, but the "shoulders" are pretty rough.

***********


More flags and buntings have appeared. Here, on Osborn Avenue, the Misiaszek residence is brightly decorated for the Fourth, and .........


on Main Street the rows of Linden Trees are in bloom.

I've always remembered what a great fuss my grandmother made over Linden Trees and the sweet aroma of all their tiny blossoms.

As I grew older, and found myself being dosed with courses in Greek Mythology and Renaissance Art, there was "the Linden," again and again.







The Linden Dance - 1565 woodcut.

I found this photograph of linden flowers on a very pretty, and informative, web page .

The trees on East Main Street are small, but there's a really big one on West Bacon Street just west of where Babbott comes in, towards the Upcrafts'. If you're near it you can smell it! And you can hear it, too --- it's playing host to lots and lots of honey-loving bees!

**************

I'm going to take a break from blogging for a day - or perhaps even two! - just for a change of routine. (I might even sleep late!) I will, however, be taking pictures and talking to people -- especially those who will be going on the WCS Marching Band trip to Washington, D.C. And if any of those who are involved have pictures of their own that they're willing to share, I'd welcome input! I'm hoping that cell phone photos taken during the bus ride and at the Fourth of July Parade will be sent to me, too! (That means you'll have to put my E-mail address on your 'phone contact list and it's easier for me if you use <PBrown3686@aol.com>.) Thanks!

******
In fact --- why don't ALL of you with cell phones that take pictures plug in that address: you might be going to a baseball game, instead, or boating on Oneida Lake or climbing a High Peak or seeing that eagle, again!


Have a Great Weekend!