Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sunday morning

Not as chilly, this morning. Gray sky, early, but 43.8 degrees

and the forecast for the week looks nice!



And you can wish Bill and Irene Lew

"Happy Birthday"

when you see them - along with their three children, several grandchildren and one great- grandchild - all at St. Bernard's Church, this morning! They had a really great party at the Legion, last night, and I hope to have pictures, later on!

*******


Yesterday morning I took a "ride in the country," just to look at all the greenery.
I like the view on Lewis Road - it reminds me of Kansas, where we lived for eight years in the sixties: all that open sky!



But, continuing westward on Sally Road, I discovered that someone has cut down a whole row of old maple trees, and the view looked strange and almost too-open without them.

*******

On Hanover Road, I passed the old farmhouse at "Turtle Cove" that's being renovated just as the new owner was coming out the door: Miles and Diane Cornish have bought the property and are going to make it their home! Wonderful!

***


Back in town, on Madison Street, I had stopped to watch some Canada Geese on the little pond beyond Jack Prior's when along came that gentleman, himself. I asked about the rising level of the water and he said, "Well, come and see for yourself!" And I did! and, yes - it IS a construction site!

*******************



The sky clouded over, around noon, and as I headed home I realized that I was seeing cloud formations that I hadn't seen since Kansas ---- the land of open sky and also of Dorothy and Toto and tornadoes! A quick dash homeward and rapid search of the internet provided me with plenty of information about Mammatus Clouds. They're NOT as dangerous as I'd thought!

"Sometimes very ominous in appearance, mammatus clouds are harmless and do not mean that a tornado is about to form; a commonly held misconception. In fact, mammatus are usually seen after the worst of a thunderstorm has passed."

I took the picture on Osborn Avenue looking ESE - perhaps there had been a thunderstorm in Bridgewater or Leonardsville, earlier.

********






Although we havn't had a great deal of rain, lately, hop vines need to be tied or trained to their poles and the weeds are thriving! I did find one morel, while I was weeding, but some small critter had found it, first! I'll continue searching, today.

**************

Have a great Day, everyone!