Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday

It's nearly 60 degrees and I've opened windows to let in the wonderful aroma of the lilacs!

****************
  • Friday: Partly sunny, warm and humid with afternoon thunderstorms. High 86
  • Friday Night: Mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms ending after midnight. Low 54
  • Saturday: Mix of sun & clouds. High 76 Low 51
  • Sunday: Mostly cloudy with rain and thunderstorms. High 73 Low 56
  • Memorial Day: Mostly cloudy with morning showers and thunderstorms.



In this morning's Observer-Dispatch appears the obituary of Lucille Emory, a longtime resident of this community and friend to many, and also a brief notice of the death of Valerie Chapman, of Newport. Her husband, Bill, is a well-known naturalist with whom I've slogged through the soggiest parts of Nine Mile Swamp and who has written several field guides which I've had the pleasure of illustrating.

**************

In yesterday's mail was this nice E-note from someone named Greg:

"I am a 1982 graduate of Hamilton College and sometimes forget how
beautiful Root Glen is! My 25 Year reunion is next weekend, but living
in Minnesota, I will not be able to make it back. It was a nice
reminder to have your blog posting pop up on my Hamilton search engine
this morning and allow me the good memories of upstate NY. Thank you!"

And thank you for writing! I'm continually amazed at how far this little blog travels!

***
I forgot to take my camera with me on my rounds of the village, yesterday, and so I can only tell you that you can take special pleasure in seeing that hanging basket planters - prepared by Alcott's - are now suspended from telephone poles along Main Street and that the members of the Garden Club have been planting the "tubs" - even those in Sangerfield!

*******

One of those plantings has answered the question:

"When are they going to pipe the 1906 watering trough in the Park?"

(That was a Village part of the reconstruction project, wasn't it?)

Not now! Shirley Kellogg, of the Garden Club, happily told me that the Village provided the soil and she has planted the super-large container with purple fountain grass (chuckle!) pink petunias, purple argeratum and pale pink begonias. (She has done this planting for quite a number of years. It's always different; always lovely!)

I'll make a point of taking my camera with me, today, and will find an unobstructed view of the "planter."

**********

Click to get a better view.

Have a great day!