Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tuesday

It's 34 degrees; no sign of frost on the lawn.
Perhaps it didn't get as cold as forecasters had warned.



There is a new development in the Oneida Indian Nation Land Claim
reported in this morning's Observer-Dispatch. It puts to rest the notion that the Oneidas can place thousands of acres of land into trust as payback for wrongs done them by New York State back in the late 1700's, but does NOT say that the State doesn't owe them about half a billion dollars!

***********

I've had a couple of very nice E-notes from David O'Dowd. With his permission, here's part of one:

"While it was a difficult, awful week for me and my family, it was actually wonderful, too. So many kind and thoughtful gestures, wonderful stories and heartfelt tears from so many people. It is so great to know that there are so many people who loved my Mom as we did. It’s also tremendously reassuring that there is such a strong network to watch out for my Dad and help him along in creating his new life."

(I know just what he's talking about!)


Work has begun at the site of the new Belfield Insurance Agency, in the former Agway Gas Station lot on West Main Street.

Wood Betony, the only "brown" wildflower, is blooming along the banks of the Oriskany Creek, south of Oriskany Falls.

The uncommonly complex "Dent-de-Lion"

On my way to New Hartford, yesterday, I saw some people out in a golden field of dandelions and knew right away what they were doing.......

They were going to make Dandelion Wine. I can remember the late "Pete" Peterson and Syd Erickson making some, one year back in the 1970's, and bringing me a bottle to sample. So sweet; so smooth; and so surprisingly powerful!

******

Sort-of like the Yankees.


It's going to be another nice day. Enjoy it!!