Saturday, December 8, 2007

Saturday

It's 30 degrees; no precipitation, and the road is bare.

**********

I don't usually do a Saturday blog post, but I just HAVE to, today, to say

"Welcome!"

to a very special friend who, I learned yesterday, has just acquired a computer for the specific purpose of following the "Huddle Blog that everyone keeps talking about!!!" (And I bet she'll be sending us E-mail in no time at all!)

********

Speaking of the weather ...........

Six months ago, fields were gold with wild mustard; roadsides filled with Dame's Rocket, and paving was in progress on Route 315.


Yes: we did have snow before Christmas, last year. This picture was taken just a year ago. The only difference between it and one taken today would be that there are no lamp posts in the earlier shot. The "blog," that day, said that the posts were supposed to be shipped from the West Coast, then!

Speaking of lamp posts ............


Mark sent this picture from Ft. Myers, Florida ..........


............ and this "Christmas Tree" at the Thomas Edison historic site.

(That, in a way, is a reminder to get your Christmas Tree right here in Waterville at the Masons' Sale in the Park!)

*******************

Today is Anna Rae Martin's big day: she and her dad, Ray, will compete in the Toyota 5th Grader Challenge. (Questions that Anna Rae has already answered include, "What is the Chinese method of using needles to stop pain?" "What is the name of the black woman who refused to go to the back of the bus?" "Where are the pyramids?") You can see the audition tape HERE!

Have you noticed that there's almost always something going on at the Waterville Public Library? Today it's Crafts and on Thursday evening it's Family Movie Night, featuring "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!"

I searched this morning's news for WCS Basketball scores but didn't find any. I did, however, come across an article about Erin Hamlin of Remsen - a young lady whose name we should all know!

*****************

Thank You for asking, but No! I shall NOT post a photo of my eyelids!!!

I will, however, let you read this perfect little poem, written for me by Shirley Bynum Smith - Hedwig Eisenhut's daughter.

Uplifted

Mirror, mirror, what I see,
Looks like Stallone and not like me,
Though what I expected
Was raccoon-connected.

When my lids are unsealed
And the newness revealed,
I fully suppose
When I look past my nose

I’ll see more that is worthy
And honest and mirthy
Than ever I saw through narrow eyes--
I’ll call it a Glimpse of Paradise.

*********************

Thank you, Shirley!

*******

Have a Great Weekend, Everyone!