Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tuesday

56.7 degrees and raining.
  • Tuesday: Rain, locally heavy at times. Breezy and a bit mild. High in the low 60s.
  • Tuesday night: Rain tapering off to showers. Some clearing late. Low in the mid 40s.
  • Wednesday: A mix of sun and clouds with the off chance of a shower Cooler. High: 53, Low: 32
  • Thursday: Sunshine! Mild. High: 60, Low: 37


****************
I had a phone call from Wayne Brouillette at around 4:30, yesterday afternoon, telling me that ACCESS was OPEN! (And that they had a popcorn machine and were serving Green Mountain Coffee!)

Later, this E-mail from John Brouillette:
"ACCESS Federal Credit Union opened "unofficially" yesterday and will officially open today, with the drive-through opening at 7:30."

***********************

Yesterday was fantastic: warm, sunny, and perfect for working outdoors or washing windows or going for a Scenic Ride - which is what I did!

I had chatted with Mark Mowrey for a while, at the Pancake Breakfast on Sunday morning, and he asked me, then, if I'd ever heard of "Rosa Mystica." I hadn't. (My first thought was that Dan Brown had a new book out!) But Mark went on to describe Rosa Mystica as a shrine with a chapel and a great many crosses up on top of a hill outside of Edmeston! He and his family had searched for and found it the day before.

Dick and I thought we'd covered just about all the roads - paved and not - in this part of New York State, but we'd missed this one! So ------

I got to Edmeston by driving South on Route 12 to Sherburne and then travelling Eastward on Route 80 to Route 8 -- it was beautiful!


South a bit more and then East, again,

passing the historic Beardslee Homestead and Hop House. (Is this the same Beardslee that built the stone "castle" on Route 5?)

Here's a map that will show you how to find Rosa Mystica.


While you're at the website, please look at their Photo Gallery - the pictures are far better than mine. And if you decide to go there, yourself, remember to take a right-hand turn onto East Street in the center of Edmeston. I missed it, first time through, but had a very scenic detour! (My next car will have a navigation system!)




****************


Somewhere on Route 80.



On Route 8, south of Bridgewater.


I drove up Route 8 as far as Larson Road - the far end of Canning Factory Road - and stopped on top of a hill to look at the clouds. There was so much moisture in them that a shimmery "rainbow effect" was taking place! (Click the picture!) Just like "Northern Lights!"

*******************

Today I'll get back to work and find something around Waterville tell you about!