Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday


GARBAGE DAY!

It's 62.4 degrees
  • Thursday: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Otherwise, sun, clouds, warm and humid. High in the low 80s.
  • Thursday Night: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of a shower. Low in the upper 50s.
  • Friday: A mix of sun and clouds. Chance of a few showers. Cooler and much less humid. High: 73, Low: 49

****************



Mr. John Ogden sent me this view of the Candee Block that stood where the New York Pizzaria is, now, and was built in 1889 and burned in 1982. I imagine it's a post card, but not one that I've seen before. The photograph was taken some time before the fire of 1929 which destroyed nearly all of the frame structures on that side of the street.

*******

And Gene Ostrander sent me several pictures that he took at the mill site, yesterday. These two show DPW's Jamie Bechy in the cellar of the building. What wonderful stonework!

(But "why?" are there so many window-like openings? Was the ground lower when the building was constructed, or .....?)


I'll make some prints and take them up to the Gallery Wall at the Waterville Public Library.


I stopped there, yesterday, and found Amanda Briggs looking at some of the new additions to the collection.


Then I went to the Farmer's Market in the Park.

Pam Brown was going to spend the rest of the day making sauce!


This gentleman laughed when I asked if I could take his picture;


..... but the fellow who should have been in this shot of a Crafter's Table did a rapid disappearing act when he saw my camera!


The "Flower Lady" - Nola - laughed and giggled and tried to escape .......


... but Dot McConnell said "Certainly!" and happily posed behind her table holding a spray of nicely dried hops. She always has a wonderful selection of crafts and homemade jams, jellies and baked goods. (Some of her fudge found its way home with me!)

***************

The O-D has a nice article about the visit of the 1862 schooner the Lois McClure to the Utica Marina, yesterday.

Actually - the whole O-D website is worth visiting: they've moved into the 21st century! A banner that caught my eye said something about downloading whole books from Midyork - you can check out the details HERE!

It's Veteran's Day and Fire & Rescue Day at the New York State Fair.

Wendy Sexton reminded me that I was ignoring the fact that the US OPEN Tennis Championships are under way!

This, of course, is why!
I have a great many relatives and friends in Massachusetts!

She advises that the US OPEN can be watched on NY USA - Ch. 21 locally - at 11:00 A.M. and 7:00 P.M. Today's baseball game starts at 1:05.

**************

Whatever you do, have a good day!