Friday, April 27, 2007

Friday morning

It's 46 degrees.


Going to be drippy.



Yesterday was quite nice and - besides doing some flowerbed cleanup - I took Mrs. Davis' advice and drove over to Oriskany Falls and then northward on Route 12B to VanHyning Road to see the house that's being built, there. It's right at the foot of the hill and was once the Miller residence. It's large! And hearsay has it that it will be a Bed & Breakfast!


Municipal Hall was the first building to have
mown lawns; now it's the first to have dandelions!


The Great Blue Heron are back. There's one - right in the center of this picture - looking for all the World like a stick of dead wood, patiently waiting to catch something in the little pond on Sanger Hill Road.



The Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers have returned to Whiskey Hollow - right on schedule. I havn't seen it, yet, but I've heard one: they find any and all sorts of metal - like our barn roof and the township signs - to tap on, signalling their territory.



The Yankees and Redsox begin a three-game weekend series in the Bronx on Friday evening.

**************

There's a nice article in today's Observer-Dispatch about Elm-planting projects in Utica and other cities.

DOT Landscape Architect Paul Evans will be in town next Monday staking locations for quite a number of new street trees that will be planted during the next few weeks. His list does include the "Accolade Elm." I noticed, yesterday, that Waterville's one big, old elm tree - the one in front of the Fire House - appears to be alive except for a couple of smallish, twiggy branches. I'll take a picure of it, today.

*******

WKTV Newschannel 2 reports on former Vice-president Al Gore's talk at Hamilton College, last night.

**************************

I'll post Headlines from this week's issue of The Waterville Times, later on, but wanted to make sure that this - also in the Times - reaches all of you:

How can I possibly say “Thank You!” to all of you?

Dr. Chabot and everyone in his office, as well as the many at the Harding Nursing Home who cared for Dick - and me - all did so with the most remarkably gentle, kind efficiency. My daughter Allison and her family have been supportive and helpful beyond description, and Patty Louise, in her eloquent article, gave all of us a lasting memory of "Rf" to hold on to.

I simply can't find the right words to express my enormous appreciation and gratitude for all of the compassion and generosity shown me during Dick's illness and since his death. I have been overwhelmed - and humbled - by all of it and can only say that I shall try to follow his energies with my own and, in my own way, attempt to give back to the Waterville Community all that it gave to Dick and me for so many years.

Allison and I will be setting a date for Dick's “damned fine party” so that those friends who are still away right now will be able to attend, and then we'll let all of you know when and where it will take place! Allison, Rick, Iain and I, as well as some of our "East Coast" relatives and friends, will look forward to seeing all of you, then!

God Bless you All!

Sincerely, Philippa Brown

******

"The Kids" are coming for the weekend!

You Have a good day!